Saturday, November 22, 2008

How to Buy A Goat Questionnaire

On my journey to find a Nigerian Goat, I came across some very good and qualified breeders. Not all breeders of goats attain the standards of herdsmanship that I feel are important. I actually wrote a Goat Questionnaire, which I will share with all of you.

I will go into detail on how to buy a goat. Many new goat enthusiasts do not know what to look for or what to ask, when purchasing a goat.

The very first thing in determining your search for a goat, is to know why you are getting a goat. What will be the main function of the goat? Will it be for clearing brush, as pack animals, to eat, to use their fiber, for milking, taking them to shows or just as a pet. All of these factors are important in the breed and quality of animal you are looking for. As I found out, a goat is not just a goat…

Once you know the reasons for wanting a goat, determining the breed will be a lot easier. What I want to focus on is what to look for and ask when buying a goat. Below is a questionnaire that I wrote up. It has most of your basic questions, i found useful when i was looking to buy my first goats.


Buying a Goat Questionnaire

1. Are your baby goats bottle-fed or dam raised?

2. Has your herd been tested for CAE, Johnnes, TB, Brucellosis, and CL? If so, can I see the test results?

3. Are they disbudded?

4. Do you give vaccines? If not why? 

5. Are they wormed and checked for worms on a regular basis?

6. Do you have health certificates and health records for all of your goats that you sell?

7. Do any of your goats get Bo-Se Injections?

8. Are the goats registered with the AGS, NDGA or ADGA?

9. Are the goats purebreds?

10. Are they tattooed already? If not are you willing to explain to me how to do this properly?

11. Do you have the original registration papers for any goats that you are selling me?

12. Do you have bill of sales and a transfer slip for all goats?

13. Are there any noticeable or not so noticeable disfiguring defects or abnormalities?

14. When the goat was born was there any complications before, during or after delivery?

15. Has the mother had multiple births.

16. What vet do you use? In addition, would he give you a positive reference?

17. Are you willing to show me what your herd eats, and how to mix the feed for proper nutrition?

18. If I have any problems or have any questions, can I call you after I purchase a goat from you?

This sums up the goat questionnaire. I know to some this may seem extreme or very extensive but when buying any animal I feel you should be as thorough as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.