Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why Nigerian Dwarf Goats?

My Grand Daughter and our two little goats.

I started out as I stated, making soaps for me and my husband. On several occasions I would use goats milk which I bought at the store for a very costly price. Wait, "I thought to myself," I have the land, I have an old barn, Why not get a goat? That way I would not have to purchase the milk at the store anymore.

So began my search into the different breeds of goats. My personality is of one who researches everything about a subject. I analyze every aspect and area until I have all the facts. I do not just jump into anything without counting the cost.
I was so amazed by all the different breeds of goats. I always thought a goat is a goat..... Oh not true......

I quickly found out that I definitely needed a dairy goat. Now what kind of dairy goat was I looking for. I looked at all the pictures of the breeds and weighed the pros and cons. I then started calling around and talking to breeders about there goats. I feel so sorry for all of the breeders. I had so many questions that some were really put off by me. Some even told me I was beginning to ask to personal of questions all because I wanted to know what got them interested in goats in the first place. I am a lover of peoples lives and histories. It amazes me how people choose the paths that they choose and why. I love details.......OK, so back to the goats.....

It came down to one breed the Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goat. I choose this breed mainly for their size and their ability to be excellent milkers. Who would have thought that you could actually milk something so small. I was impressed!

I have very small grand children and I did not want regular size goats that would knock them over. I also want my grand children to be very involved with the goats, because of their size a child can easily handle them. Nigerians are also easy to handle in the milk stand as well.

Now to find one. That in itself is a whole other story. There are no breeders within a two and a half  hour radius of me. So here is where I will end. I will continue My Quest for a Nigerian Goat next time....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I just found your blog and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your posts. I have goats, too....and have also made and sold soap in my past....so this just just plain old fun reading about your life!

    Juri

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second article was awesome! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by WebRing.